Warm or cold this Balsamic Roasted Vegetable Grain Salad is the perfect meal prep dish and easy to make your own. I made today’s version with Farro but you can use Quinoa, Rice of any kind, Bulgur wheat and add the protein of choice. It’s filling, healthy and easy to pack away for lunch. I like to add grilled chicken and create a bowl with some extra Feta and cherry tomatoes.
If you have stopped by to check out recipes on my site, you know I love roasting all vegetables. Roasting gives vegetables a different flavor profile that makes them more versatile than just eating a side dish with your roast chicken. This trio of vegetables is the same recipe as my Balsamic Grilled Vegetables but instead of grilling them, I cube the vegetables and roast them in the oven.
So let’s make this Balsamic Roasted Vegetable Grain Salad. Start by making your grain, whether that be a pouch that is ready to microwave or cooking your choice of grain the traditional way. Once it’s cooked, set aside 1 cup.
How to Oven Roast vegetables
This is my go to method for roasting all vegetables. I stick with the simple formula and then add dried or fresh spices depending on what I’m roasting: Extra Virgin olive oil, salt and pepper + spices and/or vinegar of choice.
Preheat oven to 400ºF.
Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
For this recipe we are using 1 medium eggplant (with skin on), 1 large Zucchini, 1 red bell pepper, 1/2 small red onion all cubed.
Place all veggies in a large bowl and set aside. In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil, 2 tbsp of Balsamic Vinegar, 1 tsp dried Thyme, good pinch of salt and pepper. Use a fork or small whisk to combine thoroughly. Add to bowl of veggies and toss until completely covered.
Place on rimmed baking sheet and roast for about 30-40 minutes.
Vegetables will be done when tender and slightly charred. Remove from oven and allow to cool to assemble salad.
What kind of vegetables can be oven roasted?
So many vegetables, so little time! This is a small sampling of vegetables that are delicious roasted with just extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper:
- Squash of all kinds
- Cabbage wedges
- Brussels Sprouts
- Sweet potatoes
How to assemble Balsamic Roasted Vegetable Grain Salad
Take 1 cup of your grain of choice, add to a large bowl. Now add all the Balsamic Roasted Vegetables and toss. Taste for salt and pepper. Add a small splash of Balsamic Vinegar, your choice of chopped fresh herbs, like Parsley, Basil or Dill. Add crumbled Feta, Parmesan or any sharp cheese. Toss, taste and adjust as needed. This salad keeps for about 5 days but I guarantee it won’t last this long. It’s a delicious salad that goes with everything.
What to serve with Balsamic Roasted Vegetable Grain Salad?
This is a wonderful side for a Simple Herb Roasted Chicken, Grilled Salmon, Steak, or as a main for a vegetarian dinner. My favorite is for lunch with grilled chicken slices.
Inspired by this recipe? Make sure to mention us or tag us on Instagram. All content and photographs ©Claudia’s Table and claudiastable.com
Balsamic Roasted Vegetable Grain Salad
- rimmed baking sheet
- Large bowl
- 1 medium eggplant top removed, cubed, with skin on
- 1 large Zucchini squash top removed, cubed
- 1 whole pepper red, bell, cored, seeds removed, cubed
- 1/2 small red onion cubed
- 2 oz cheese Feta, or other cheese of choice
- 1/4 cup olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tbsp Balsamic vinegar plus extra if needed
- 1 tsp Thyme dried
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup grain of choice: farro, brown rice, quinoa or wild rice cooked to package directions
- Cook your choice of grain. Set 1 cup of cooked grain aside.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- For this recipe we are using 1 medium eggplant (with skin on), 1 large Zucchini, 1 red bell pepper, 1/2 small red onion all cubed.
- Place all veggies in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil, 2 tbsp of Balsamic Vinegar, 1 tsp dried Thyme, good pinch of salt and pepper. Use a fork or small whisk to combine thoroughly. Add to bowl of veggies and toss until completely covered.
- Place on rimmed baking sheet and roast for about 30-40 minutes.
All content and photographs ©Claudia’s Table and claudiastable.com