There is nothing better than a comfy cozy bowl of pasta. But a Creamy Tomato, Chicken and Mushroom Pasta that is fancy tasting and weeknight friendly? Sign me up! This is super rich with a light tomato garlic flavor complimented nicely with slices of mushrooms and chunks of chicken. I think we can agree that pasta is such a loved dinner choice by both adults and children alike. This is great recipe that comes together in about 45 minutes from start to finish.
Inspired by Lorena Garcia’s New Latin Classics, the recipe is amazing but I’ve made some modifications and well, I think you will enjoy this classic and mouthwatering pasta dish.
Parma Rosa Sauce Recipe
So for the longest time, my girlfriend referred to a favorite sauce that Buca di Beppo puts on their pasta. A “Rosa” sauce. I’ve not eaten there in a very long time, and upon a little digging, I realized it is was what we know as a Parma Rosa sauce. So Parma Rosa is a combination of tomatoes (in various forms) with heavy cream and spices. When the sauce is done, it takes on a pink or rosa color. There is also Sugo Rosa which is tomato based with a touch of cream. The Parma Rosa or alla Rosa is the same tomato based with cream (a little more) and some parmesan cheese added into the sauce. I think these are all variations of the same sauce, but with different proportions. The sauce for this recipe uses fresh, ripe Roma tomatoes plus a good quality tomato puree. Welcome to your new favorite “pink” sauce!
Tips for making Creamy Tomato, Chicken and Mushroom Pasta
I have some tips to speed this recipe along on a busy weeknight. First, buy sliced mushrooms as it shaves a few minutes off prep. Buy skinless, boneless, chicken breast cutlets as they are easy to chop into bite size pieces with minimal effort. Good quality, canned pureed tomatoes are a must for this dish and are pantry friendly.
How to make this pasta dish
In a large stock pot, cook pasta to package directions and reserve 1 cup of pasta water. Rigatoni takes about 10 minutes to cook and is my favorite tubular pasta for this dish. The sauce clings to well to the pasta and it compliments that heartiness of this sauce very well. Other types of pasta that work well are Penne, Mezzo Rigatoni, and Tortiglioni. Another favorite recipe that uses Rigatoni pasta is my very popular Pasta with Chicken Sun Dried Tomatoes and Garlic which is a true weeknight wonder for busy weeknights.
Let’s start to make my Creamy Tomato Chicken and Mushroom Pasta. Start with a large skillet and heat the olive oil. Once the olive oil is hot, add the shallots and cook for about 3 minutes stirring so they don’t burn. Add the finely chopped garlic and the chicken and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Now it’s time to add the sliced mushrooms. I like to cook the mushrooms for about 5 minutes until tender. Stir in the wine, tomato puree, fresh tomato, cream, salt, pepper and stir until everything is combined. Turn heat to medium low and simmer for about 5 minutes. The last step is to add the parmesan cheese. You can use finely shredded or grated both will work, but use real parmesan cheese for this recipe. Add cheese and stir until completely melted.
How to serve
Now we are ready to serve this delectable pasta. You can add the sauce to the drained pasta or vice versa. Just ensure you have enough room for the pasta and sauce once combined. Gently add the pasta to the sauce and toss until it’s fully coated. Garnish with some finely chopped parsley and extra cheese and dinner is served.
Yes, you can use drained, Italian style Roma tomatoes instead of fresh.
Store for up to 2 days in the refrigerator in a tightly covered container.
You can eliminate chicken and add another pound of sliced portobello mushrooms or you can use 1 bunch of chopped, roasted asparagus and the end. I recommend roasted as the flavor and texture is perfect for this pasta.
You can substitute extra large or large peeled shrimp for the chicken in this sauce however they cook fast so add the shrimp at the end, cook for about 5-7 minutes (depending on size) until they are no longer pink.
Inspired by this recipe? Make sure to mention us or tag us on Instagram or Pin this recipe for later. All content and photographs ©Claudia’s Table and claudiastable.com
Creamy Tomato Chicken and Mushroom Pasta
- 1 large skillet
- 1 pasta pot
- 1 lb Rigatoni pasta or any tubular pasta
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 whole shallot peeled and finely chopped
- 1 lb chicken breast cutlets chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 lb Baby Portabella Mushrooms sliced
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1/2 cup white or rose wine dry
- 1/2 cup ripe roma tomato seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt kosher
- 1/2 tsp pepper black, ground
- 2 cups parmesan cheese* grated or finely shredded + extra for serving
- 1/2 cup parsley Italian, leaves only, chopped
- Cook pasta to package instructions. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water.
- In a large skillet or dutch oven, on medium high, heat olive oil until glistening.
- Saute shallots for about 3 minutes until lightly browned.
- Add chicken and garlic and sauté for about 10 minutes and until chicken is cooked through and no pink remains.
- Add a pinch of kosher salt.
- Add sliced mushrooms, stir and cook about 5 minutes.
- Add wine, tomato puree, fresh tomato, heavy cream, salt and pepper. Stir until fully combined and turn heat to medium low and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- After ten minutes, stir in parmesan cheese* and stir until fully melted.
- Add 1/2 cup of pasta water and stir more if needed. The pasta water will thicken the sauce but the sauce overall will still be on the thinner side.
- Toss sauce into pasta in pasta pot and gently toss until the pasta is fully coated. You will notice the sauce thicken a bit more once it's being tossed into the hot pasta.
- Serve with a little chopped parsley and more shredded, grated or sliced parmesan cheese.
All content and photographs ©Claudia’s Table and claudiastable.com