This simple Hearts Salad with Prosciutto has a lot going for it. Crunchy Romaine hearts, check! Artichoke hearts, check! Hearts of palm, triple check! Three hearts and the best salty add ons: Prosciutto, Parmesan and Mozzarella all covered by Balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, salt and freshly ground pepper. Simply delightful!
I started making this salad years ago for its simplicity and fabulous flavor. This is also a great salad to serve as an appetizer or a main. (Perfect with Pasta with Chicken Sun Dried Tomatoes and Garlic.)
I start with Romaine hearts. I purchase what is already washed and ready to go to make things a bit easier. I purchase marinated, quartered, Artichoke hearts, and whole Hearts of Palm.
What are Hearts of Palm exactly? You see them often in salad bars and on menu’s but what are they really? They are considered a vegetable and it comes from the center of the cabbage palm. It has the texture of white asparagus but much more mild in flavor. They are actually quite nutritious and low in calories and they blend into any salad quite well.
So back to this easy salad… Prosciutto gives this salad just the right amount of saltiness it needs. If you don’t like or can’t find Prosciutto, you can substitute with Salami or smoked ham. Also for the Prosciutto, I sometimes cut the slices into smaller pieces depending on how I’m serving it; for an appetizer, I cut it into smaller pieces. I add Mozzarella sticks, chopped or fresh Mozzarella balls (Ciliegine-these are my preference but my local store has been out for sometime) , some large shreds of Parmesan cheese and fresh Parsley leaves. Some good extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar (or prepared salad dressing) salt and freshly ground pepper. Toss this bowl of goodness and you are ready to eat!
What is great about this Hearts Salad with Prosciutto is you can add as much of any of the ingredients as you wish, there is no real hard set quantities. I included quantities as a starting point but you can make this your own. Enjoy!
Hearts Salad with Prosciutto
- 7 oz romaine hearts chopped
- 1/2 cup Italian Parsley leaves only
- 3 oz prosciutto thinly sliced
- 1/2 jar artichoke hearts marinated, quartered
- 3 stalks hearts of palm whole, chopped in large chunks
- 2 oz mozzarella cheese sticks, chopped or fresh balls
- vinegar balsamic
- olive oil extra virgin
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese large shreds or ribbons
- Start with washed and dried Romaine lettuce hearts. Chopped.
- Place in a large, shallow bowl.
- Add Prosciutto. Either chopped or whole slices (your preference)
- Chop hearts of palm. Add to the salad.
- Add marinated, quartered artichoke hearts.
- Add Mozarella cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Finish with Parsley leaves, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
Nutritional information is calculated online and should be used as a guide.
All content and photographs ©Claudia’s Table and claudiastable.com
How about a delicious Greek Wedge Salad with Yogurt Dill Dressing? Check out our salads here…there’s a lot more delicious salads to try!
Leave a Reply