For a perfect burger topping, you must make Marinated Balsamic Red Onions. For the best burger, it needs toppings with a range of flavors and textures. Even simply built burgers have an amazing sauce, great cheese or perfectly seasoned patty. A perfect umami dance in your mouth. In addition, these tangy onions are a perfect topping for salads, grain bowls and a great addition to a charcuterie board.
I make these marinated red onions all the time, but I typically marinate them in white vinegar or lime juice and typically use them on tacos. I created these for a burger recipe, a chicken burger to be exact, we all know they can use a little something more since chicken and turkey can be rather bland. This is an easy, full flavored recipe that will upgrade your burgers or anything else you want to put them on. You need only onions, Balsamic vinegar, sugar, olive oil and two hours.
How to make Marinated Balsamic Red Onions
Start by slicing the red onion into thin slices, about 1/8 inch thick each. Place onions in a small, shallow bowl or jar with a lid. Next, add the balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper and sugar. Now ensure all the onions have the Balsamic liquid mixture and place lid on the bowl or jar and allow to sit on the counter. I stir them every 30 minutes to make sure they marinate evenly.
How to Use Marinated Balsamic Red Onions
Like many of the dressings and sauces that I make, I like variety. These wonderful and savory onions can be used in a myriad of ways:
- Topping for burgers
- Hot dog toppings
- Option on a bagel bar
- Perfect on salads
- Addition to grain bowls
- Add on to charcuterie board
- As part of a antipasto platter
Oh and that leftover vinegar? Add some more olive oil and make a dressing out of it. Yes!
Marinated Balsamic Red OnionsFebruary 20, 2022
- 1 bowl with lid
- 1 medium red onion cut into 1/8" thick slices
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp salt kosher
- 1 tsp sugar white
- 1/2 tsp pepper course ground
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- dried Italian herbs optional
- Start by slicing the red onion into thin slices, about 1/8 inch thick each.
- Place onions in a small, shallow bowl or jar with a lid. Next, add the balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper and sugar.
- Place lid on bowl or jar and shake until all ingredients are mixed well.
- Place in fridge for up to 3 days.
- Onion vinegar mixture can be used for salad dressing, just add olive oil to taste and dried Italian herbs.
Nutritional information is calculated online and should be used as a guide.
All content and photographs ©Claudia’s Table and claudiastable.com