Instead of turning left in Albuquerque, turn right into flavor town: One Pan Lemon Rosemary Chicken and Rice. A Mediterranean twist to the classic Chicken and Rice dish. These morsels of rice, bake to perfection with lively flavors and aromas of lemon, chicken, garlic and rosemary. Simple ingredients with maximum flavor. A weeknight win win win!
The classic Chicken and Rice dish has literally millions of versions of recipes and is one of the dishes that truly crosses almost every culture. What stands out in my version is that I lightly fry the rice before cooking it. I fry the rice like when I make Mexican rice or Sopa de Arroz. Frying it gives it volume and cooks it without clumping. In Mexican households, in addition to making rice on the stovetop, many finish cooking rice in the oven which is what I have done. This method rendered a beautiful rice, with wonderful aromas and flavor.
This is an easy one pan dinner to make for busy weeknights. It takes a little bit to brown the chicken, but with one pan, you can assemble the rest quickly and wait for the rice to finish cooking. It’s aromatic, flavorful and SO delicious. Serve this with your favorite vegetable for a mouthwatering chicken dinner that both adults and kids will love.
Let’s talk chicken
For this recipe you can use skinless, boneless thighs which is what is featured in this recipe. But you can use skin on, bone in chicken thighs and it’s delicious as well. The only difference is that you have more fat in the dish, but really, it turns out so delicious because of that extra fat. Plus the rice crisps at the bottom a little because of the chicken fat, butter and oil. You can also use chicken breast but check cooking times as these pieces are much thicker.
How to Make One Pan Lemon Rosemary Chicken and Rice
To start, you can finish this dish on the stove or finish in the oven. I chose the latter. I find the rice cooks evenly and I don’t have to babysit the pan to make sure my rice doesn’t burn. But I provide instructions for cooking for both on the stovetop and oven.
Preheat the oven to 375°.
Now for the chicken, pat dry and sprinkle some kosher salt and pepper on both sides.
Place the pan on the stove on medium high heat. Once the pan is hot, add the olive oil and add the butter. Add chicken to the hot pan or skillet and brown about 5-8 minutes on each side. Don’t crowd the chicken, it needs room to brown, so you may need to brown in two batches. Once the chicken is browned, remove from pan and set aside. You will have chicken fat and some oil and butter remaining in the pan, to this add the rice and stir “fry” the rice. Make sure you start sautéing the rice as soon as it hits the pan. You don’t want it to burn so continue to fry the rice for about 2-3 minutes. Add the minced garlic and stir for about 30 seconds. Add the chicken broth, lemon juice and zest. Stir until ingredients are evenly distributed. Nestle the chicken in the pan and arrange the rosemary sprigs, and lemon slices on top of the chicken and rice.
Bake for 20 minutes in the oven or leave on stovetop for 20 minutes on low heat. This One Pan Lemon Rosemary Chicken is done with the liquid is fully absorbed into the rice and chicken reads 165° with an instant read thermometer. You will love this One Pan Lemon and Rosemary Chicken and Rice, it’s a weeknight wonder and your family will love every lemony bite!
Enjoy this with your favorite vegetable for a complete meal.
Friends, if you love Lemons and much as I do, check out this post on more recipes for my favorite sunny fruit: Lemons – 3 ways to use in recipes.
Inspired by this recipe? Make sure to mention us or tag us on Instagram. All content and photographs ©Claudia’s Table and claudiastable.com
One Pan Lemon Rosemary Chicken and Rice
- Oven safe pan with lid or
- skillet with lid
- 2 lbs chicken thighs boneless, skinless or bone in, with skin
- 1 cup white rice long grain
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 lemon juice of
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2-3 rosemary sprigs fresh
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- On the stovetop, in a preheated pan on medium high heat, add olive oil and butter.
- Brown chicken pieces two or three at a time. Less crowding allows the chicken to brown. About 5 minutes on each side.
- Once the chicken is browned, remove from pan and set aside.
- You will have chicken fat and some oil and butter remaining in the pan, to this add the rice and stir "fry" the rice. Make sure you start sautéing the rice as soon as it hits the pan. You don't want it to burn so continue to fry the rice for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and stir for about 30 seconds. Add the chicken broth, lemon juice and zest. Stir until ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Nestle the chicken in the pan and arrange the rosemary sprigs, and lemon slices on top.
- Place in a preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- This One Pan Lemon Rosemary Chicken is done with the liquid is fully absorbed into the rice and chicken reads 165° with an instant read thermometer.
Stove top method
- The same as above but instead of placing in the oven, leave on the stove and turn heat to low.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes.
- The One Pan Lemon Rosemary Chicken is done when the liquid is fully absorbed into the rice and chicken reads 165° with an instant read thermometer.
Nutritional information is calculated online and should be used as a guide.
All content and photographs ©Claudia’s Table and claudiastable.com
This recipe is inspired by Lemon Rice Recipe from Diethood.com.