This Orange Fennel Salad with Orange Honey Dressing is refreshing and tasty! Ripe orange, zesty fennel, peppery baby kale all wrapped up in a naturally sweet dressing. A perfect sunny salad for the perfect sunny day.
The simple citrus salad comes together in a flash and the baby kale can be substituted with baby greens or spinach. Your choice. But one of the best parts? A delicious, naturally sweet Orange Honey Dressing. It’s perfectly light and gives this salad just the enhancement it needs. A perfect companion for these peppery greens.
A favorite around here is baby Kale. The leaves are tender, and the flavor is mild. And as you would have guessed, they are the immature leaves of Kale. By now, I’m sure you guessed my love for this once “garnish only” green. There are several reasons for this aside from taste and versatility. It’s really healthy and is considered a super food and well, we think it’s super good. Good for eating and good for the body.
There are few types of Kale out there and one of the best articles explaining types and uses is from Bon Appetit, it’s a short read and super informative.
So now for this delicious salad: Wash your baby kale, dry well and place in a bowl. For the fennel bulb, start by removing the top portion of the bulb where the frond stems are. Then slice it in half and remove the inner core. For this salad I use a mandolin to get really thin slices of fennel. Almost shaved…you can also use a knife, just cut as thin as possible.
Once the fennel is ready, it’s time to slice the orange. Cut the skin off the orange with a knife. Make sure to get as close to the flesh without removing too much of the inner fruit. I cut the ends off first and then the sides. Cut the orange into slices. Once this is done, set the orange slices aside.
Assembling the salad
Grab your baby kale and add the thinly sliced fennel. Toss in half of the Orange Honey Dressing. Place on a platter and add the orange slices on top and add more dressing (if needed) salt and fresh cracked pepper. Top with some orange zest and garnish with the fennel fronds.
Great add ons for this Orange Fennel Salad with Orange Honey Dressing are: Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, capers or olives. Also grilled chicken and shrimp are delicious on this salad!
Serve and enjoy every last citrusy bite!
Orange Fennel Salad with Orange Honey Dressing
- mandoline slicer
Orange Fennel Salad
- 8 cups baby kale washed and dried
- 1 large fennel bulb thinly sliced
- 1 large navel orange ripe, peel removed and sliced
- 1/2 recipe Orange Honey Dressing recipe and recipe link in notes
- tsp orange zest garnish, optional
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
Orange Honey Dressing
- 1/2 cup olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tbsp champagne vinegar
- 3 tbsp orange juice fresh squeezed
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 tsp shallot minced
- 1 tsp honey raw
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper freshly ground
Orange Honey Dressing
- Place minced shallot and vinegar in bowl and allow to macerate for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, place all ingredients in a jar. Close tightly and shake until fully combined.
- Wash your baby kale, dry well and place in a bowl.
- For the fennel bulb, start by removing the top portion of the bulb where the fronds are.
- Then slice it in half and remove the inner core.
- For this salad I use a mandolin to get really thin slices of fennel. Almost shaved…you can also use a knife, just cut as thin as possible.
- Remove skin from orange with a knife.
- Cut orange into slices. Set aside.
Assemble the salad
- Grab your baby kale and add the thinly sliced fennel. Toss in half of the Orange Honey Dressing.
- Place on a platter and add the orange slices on top and add more dressing (if needed) salt and fresh cracked pepper.
Do you love Kale? Try one of most popular salads, Sweet Kale Quinoa Salad with Feta.