Earthy Oven Roasted Za’atar Zucchini is a perfect side dish for weekly dinners and for meal prep. I love making this in a large batch to add to my salads and bowls. It’s a complimentary vegetable for any protein that you might be baking, grilling or cooking in your skillet.
What is Za’atar?
The earthy, herby spice mix is popular in Middle East countries. This spice mix generally has thyme, marjoram, oregano, sumac and toasted sesame seeds. Some include orange zest, salt, dried dill or actual dried wild herb Za’atar also known as hyssop. The flavor profile is complex as it’s herbal but the sumac gives it almost a lemon flavor. It’s one of my favorite spice mixes to have and indulge in and perfect for this Oven Roasted Za’atar Zucchini. I would suggest buying this in small quantities so it’s used in optimal freshness. Another thing is when buying this spice blend, look for bright colors in the blend. If the colors look dark and muted, chances are that the spices are on the decline. I buy Penzeys brand online. (I’ve been using their spices for years)
You can use this on roast chicken, grilled meats, vegetables, salads or just on some ripe heirloom tomatoes. I love it on my Whipped Feta and Yogurt Dip, on grilled veggies especially Oven Roasted Za’atar Zucchini.
How to make Oven Roasted Za’atar Zucchini
How to use Oven Roasted Za’atar Zucchini
One of my favorite uses for this recipe is to use them in bowls. This Mediterranean Grilled Chicken Bowl is perfection!!
Inspired by this recipe? Make sure to mention us or tag us on Instagram. All content and photographs ©Claudia’s Table and claudiastable.com
Oven Roasted Za’atar Zucchini
- rimmed baking sheet
- parchment paper (optional)
- 2 medium Zucchini chopped into cubes about 1/2"
- 1 tsp Za'atar spice blend
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- salt, Kosher optional (check your spice blend for salt)
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or spray baking sheet with oil. Set aside.
- Chop zucchini into large dice about 1/2 inch sizes
- Place zucchini in bowl.
- Add Za'atar spice blend.
- Add extra virgin olive oil.
- Toss well and until everything is coated. You can adjust both Za'atar and olive oil.
- If you spice blend does not contain salt, add a good pinch. Toss evenly.
- Place on baking sheet and roast for about 10 minutes.
- Carefully take baking sheet out of the oven and toss zucchini so they roast evenly.
- Place back in the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Zucchini is done when tender and slightly roasted on edges.
- Serve with your favorite protein or combine in bowl or salad as you wish.
Nutritional information is calculated online and should be used as a guide.
All content and photographs ©Claudia’s Table and claudiastable.com